Friday 15 October 2010

Indecision Strikes

I have so much to write about that I literally can't get started...
I haven't had the best sleep lately... I find myself yawning over my tea this afternoon, which makes me wonder if I'm also fatigued by all the things I haven't been writing about lately. Yesterday I wrote that getting out of Sydney allows me to get in touch with narratives I might otherwise neglect. I struggle to remember how I'm supposed to be feeling about place as opposed to how I actually do. Watching The Girl Who Played With Fire, I felt a nostalgia for Stockholm, such a beautiful, pastel-coloured, dreamy-looking place. Is this a similar affinity for a place as the one I cultivate towards Sydney, a kind of strained enthusiasm? Yet Sweden is absent of quite a few irritating factors present in Aus. Its (reported) rape rate is lower, gender quality and GLBT equality is higher, and from what I've heard of the laws protecting the media (that led Julian Assange of WikiLeaks to seek a long-term stay there), it sounds like a place that brings a lot of privileges.
Is Stockholm's charm a little less apparent than Copenhagen's? Is its innovation a little less developed (but still very strong), but its urban environment more appealing to me? I don't know what I'm looking for anymore...
One thing I'm sure of is that more people need to experience other cultures first-hand. Any culture. Just go to a different continent every once in a while, get a feel for how the locals think and the issues that affect them. Don't think about it, just go! You'll have plenty of time to think about while you're there...
I was looking at photos of Barcelona yesterday... the overpowering colours of its food scene, the high drama of Gaudi architectural concoctions, the theatricity of art and modern life... and let's not forget that Spain legalised same-sex marriage before anywhere in Scandinavia, not long after The Netherlands... however, how can I possibly say that one is better than another? I haven't spent long enough in either place to get a feel for it. If anything, Barcelona is a bit too extraverted and Sweden (and Denmark) are a bit too introverted...but it doesn't matter whether I obsess over them or not: I'm not going to be able to fly over there until about this time next year. My conscious focus should be on Asia... I should be researching Thailand, Vietnam and Taiwan. I'm not sure why I'm not... it may have something to do with how much I want to be there right now, and knowing that I may have to put it off another 6 weeks makes me inconsolable.

No comments:

Post a Comment