Sunday 24 October 2010

Roiling Mind

"I woke up this morning feeling like my mind was roiling... jumping from one turbulent narrative to the next, with a few patches of peace in between." - Epiphanie Bloom


Sometimes I think that it was in China that I created this frantic state of turmoil. I wanted to change things simply through the power of my presence. I learned to feel powerless while I was there, faced with thousands of heads moving along in jerky unison, long-practiced stoic calm or dignified submissiveness. 


It felt like settling down would be dangerous. I felt like I was supposed to serve the world, and to do so demanded the application of pressure.


If I look at what Julian Assange is doing now, I admire him with ferocity. He symbolises the power of the individual to learn from the best of the system under which he has been brought up, and turn around to expose the worst of it. 


In the future, I hope we will have greater transparency in the political governments of the world. I can only hope that WikiLeaks is a salient pioneer of this movement towards greater integrity through greater public engagement and increasingly higher levels of curiosity. 

I hope that in the future, the Australian and US governments study Julian Assange as a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment