Sunday 24 October 2010

Unexpectedly Still

I am having more and more days when I find that life can be enjoyable even if I don't leave Sydney. It has all the comforts of a Top 30 'most innovative' big city, just the right amount of Asian immigrants and more events than I could ever hope to attend. I lower my expectations, and I am able to appreciate the subtlety of an emotion that is happier than the one that came before it, or vice versa.

It's days like today that I think "even if I couldn't travel outside Australia ever again, I would be OK." Not that I have any intention to stop traveling. Each time I travel is better than the last, takes me further away from Australia, and closer to it. In fact, over the last few years I have developed a substantial amount of curiosity about The Great Southern Land, and such destinations as Lismore, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs and more of Melbourne have made it on my list.

My point is, that I seem to have found enough inner peace to feel contented with my lot in life to some extent, which is a rather encouragingly positive thing. To put it another way, wherever I go, I'll be comfortably discomforted, and soothingly disturbed. Sydney or Taipei, Tokyo or Rosario, Vienna or Reykjavik.

No comments:

Post a Comment