Saturday 24 November 2018

Notes and Reflections: My Travels in Europe [1]

A) Flying into London ain’t what it used to be

A decade ago it was pointed out to me that, being from Bulgaria, I could very well work in the UK if I felt like it. In 2018, I was quizzed extensively about my intentions for London and onward. By the end of the encounter I had handed over my phone to show the electronic proof of my onward ticket to Reykjavík, and explained those pesky visas to Vietnam (all three of them). I had more stamps from Thai airports, leaving me to speculate that it was the Southeast Asian country’s Communist status that had inspired suspicion. Whatever the case, after a 24 hour flight I’m generally not in the mood for this newfound interrogatory zeal. Next time I fly through friendlier customs in "The Continent."

B) Iceland made me feel at peace with my “psychic” powers

I have been told by my last few psychologists that it’s impossible to read people’s minds, advice I always felt missed the mark. I can agree that I’ll never know the exact detailed infrastructure of a person’s innermost thoughts, but I can often pick up quickly and intuitively on details that it might take a less sensitive, attuned person a five minute conversation to establish. Shutting down my intuition never helped me, and I see now that if I trust myself, I will go further in life than the naysayers can imagine.

Walking around Reykjavík, I was often treated in a way highly conscious of my general disposition. So used to trying to conceal aspects of my eccentricity, I was taken aback at the locals’ openness to it, and would have liked to stay longer and get used to ‘snap-judgements’ that worked in my favour!

A note to those thinking that I am indulging in magical thinking: I’m pretty sure my perceptions would be backed up by science, if tests were conducted. I even agree with those who claim that there is no such thing as intuition, but acquired (heightened) powers of observation.

C) London is still worth the visit

One my last night in Europe I made it to the 02 Brixton Academy to see Lykke Li live. An old favourite, LL charmed me and countless others with her feisty, sad ditties accrued around haunting, off-beat soundscapes. She was psyched to be there, and I was in a good mood for quite some time after.

In a nod to what makes London stand out as a global hub, I made the acquaintance of a Muscovite who had spent lengthy stints basking in the plentiful outsiders (and outsideryness) of the British capital. He only wished the people of this city were more enthusiastic about literature, and could incorporate more Russian-style authenticity into their lives. I was shown that Muscovites wouldn't smile at you if you asked them for directions on the street, but that smiles were something saved for a genuine friendship.

And so, even with Brexit looming, it's going to be hard to dismantle the melée of international influences which have made London into one of the most alluring cultural hotspots to be found. I will confess to feeling more relaxed about the city, having wandered off the (dark, gloomy) headlines of the Guardian page, and onto its shiny, elegant thoroughfares. People here treat each other with a kind of mutual respect that's appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment