Friday 26 July 2024

How Far I’ve Come

I received my first paycheque at the age of 19 or so, and the first thing I did was go into a bookstore and buy an astrology book. 

I have by now dismantled the emotional dependency on this belief system, which restricted the expansion of my worldview and put me in danger of reductive, black and white, and stereotypical thinking. When you organise people around 12 archetypes, there’s a lot of nuance that you neglect along the way. 

I came to a point where I joined a facebook group for Queer Atheists, and noticed a thread on astrology which recontextualised it in such a way as to make its lack of credibility impossible to ignore. I soon got onboard with defaulting to the things in life which were evidence-based, and found that my life improved.

I feel a greater sense of agency over my personality now. I have experimented, and continue to, with different personality traits, picking and choosing them based on what resonates with me and not what my astrological profile would indicate. I feel I’ve developed greater tolerance of personality complexity, and the way different aspects of it can be activated or deactivated based on the people I’m with, or the environment I’m in. 

Retiring my astrological imagination has also seen me improve my feminism, because astrology depends on the feminine-masculine binary, and I have found this to be a traditionalist way of approaching gender which is no longer relevant to me. I guess that’s what you can expect from an organising system which has such old roots. 

Looking back, I am proud of myself for recognising that this belief system was holding me back, holding space for uncertainty while I invented new ways of organising my thoughts, and gravitating towards people who also imagined the world without astrology. It’s been a journey, something wonderful that happened - because I cared enough about my wellbeing to reinvent myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment