Thursday 15 August 2024

Notable Moments in My 2024 Travels

- On the way from Hannover to Frankfurt I sat next to a Hamburg native with a Vietnamese background who was studying Theology at university. Influenced by Christianity, she nevertheless made a choice to be atheist. She described herself as happy to live in Hamburg, although some of her friends were perturbed enough by the seeming advance of fascism (see: the Alternative for Germany party) to be planning emigration to somewhere more welcoming. Anne (the name she encouraged me to call her) merely wanted to travel to a lot of places - not move to them. She spoke with longing for the colder climates of Norway and Scandinavia. Like many native Germans, she found the tropical climate of Vietnam too hot for comfort on her sole visit to her parents’ homeland. I encouraged her to keep optimistic about having lots of time to travel around the world - her time to explore was only just beginning. Anne took an interest in my blog, and read a few posts - on my abandoning of astrology, ‘Trans Literacy and Feminism’ and the poem ‘It’s time to look up’. I thanked her for taking the time to read my work, and she graciously replied that it was she who felt lucky to be seated next to a writer. 

- One day in Hannover I made my way over to the lakeside overlooking the New Town Hall, to find an inspiring installation of a floating globe atop the water. I admired the giant ball from numerous angles, pausing at an open stretch of parkland to take in the harmony of the day. There was partial cloud cover, but little hint of rain. The beauty of the natural landscape and man-made structure of the Town Hall took turns to glow in the sunshine, the wind providing ever-changing cloud formations, putting on a show. I was not the only witness - a tall, elderly man stood admiring the globe. We eventually noticed each other and instinctively drew in for a chat. He told me how he and his wife had made tracks all over the world when they were younger. He mentioned that his South African safari was memorable, if a little dramatic, what with being instructed not to leave the accommodation within the wilderness area for any reason during the night. It opened up my curiosity about the country, though I am not in the space to visit Africa at this time. The guy asked me about what brought me to Hannover, and where I was going next. He piped up that the people of Cologne were friendly, and those of Vienna as well, giving me encouragement that I would enjoy my upcoming trips there, and reviving my appreciation for the kindness of the natives of Hannover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment