Sunday 13 January 2019

Progress Made

That feeling when... you speak your mind in all honesty, and you lose a friend over it. That happened late last year. What is it worth to know she had been trying to explain to me why she was in love with the cis guy I hated? It's true that her initiating the relationship led me to grow some distance between us. Knowing the kind of misogyny she was exposing herself to meant I was hesitant to share my deepest feminist thoughts within earshot. Perhaps she interpreted that as a universal fear of intimacy. But really, I didn't feel safe.

I didn't feel safe with her ease around the flatmate who I last heard talking about mashing up Britney Spears' 'I'm a Slave 4 U' and The Prodigy's 'Smack My B*tch Up'. The one who claimed that Paris Hilton released her own sex tape into the public sphere. The one whose own sister thinks he's a pedophile. The one who, more recently, won't consider a female as a relationship partner unless she's 'good-looking enough'. F*ck that guy. And the misogynistic boyfriend? He decided he, too, liked that guy. The alliance of women-haters. It surprises me what some people are willing to put up with.

I am privileged to have such an intensive relationship with the light that is feminism. I have put in the hours, read many a book, volunteered with the appropriate organisations. I am actively engaged in making the most of my limited experience here on earth, which includes protecting myself from male supremacy (which is everywhere). I'm yet to meet a cis man whose sexism and misogyny has been whittled down to an acceptable level. I decided, as a response to Trump's election, that their lack of revolt meant that they were worthless as life partners and friends. I would no longer concern myself with making myself likeable to them. They didn't deserve my energy.

So yeah, I've been going out without a bra more often this new year. I've been withdrawing as much energy from cis men as is possible. Only women and non-binary people can win me over. #sorrynotsorry

No comments:

Post a Comment