Friday 1 November 2019

Writing Itself & Identity Formation

I haven't been writing very much at all recently. I'm starting the process of volunteering with a feminist organisation, which makes me want to pay attention to what is going on with me, and the world, with renewed focus.

In addition to the volunteering I am listening to two separate podcasts by feminist psychotherapists - Kimberly B. George and Kara Loewentheil. I am yearning for a deeper comfort with my bisexual identity, and it occurs to me as I write this that I don't listen to any queer women that I can think of. An oversight?

In any case, 'Unfuck your brain' by Kara has been a balm for the soul. There are many different aspects to Kara - she is not easily defined. She herself is not looking for external 'personality types' to inform her thoughts, which means that she is free to transform daily, hourly, by the minute. Thoughts are just thoughts, and thoughts change. If you cling onto an identity as 'an introvert', or 'an Aries sun with Libra moon' throughout the years, you will be less likely to reconcile supposedly contradictory information about yourself into your self-concept. 

I am now interested in the concept of passion. As a person who diligently cultivated a performance of intensity, congruent with the Scorpio designation, I'm still gathering new identity formation when it comes to connecting with passion and sharing it with others. What does it mean to be deeply engaged? Hanging onto every word? 

What does it mean to be a philosophical feminist at a time when nothing can be about feminism but everything must be? I'm finding out how to hold my head up higher and more often while I inspect the damage of the legacy of 45, ScoMo et al - anyone who does the work of patriarchy on steroids is in urgent need of disregard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment