Saturday 15 January 2022

What I've learned from months of listening to German radio

During my attempts to live like a local in the former eastern Germany, I came across advertising for MDR JUMP, one of the hit radio stations out of Leipzig. Much later, I downloaded an app called Radio Germany, and decided to listen to it there. Close to the MDR Jump button was 'RTL', which enticed me with its red logo. This station is out of Berlin. Before long, I was alternating between the two to get my fix of European soundscapes, changing the station when I wasn't in the mood for misogynistic male pop stars. 

I've made some interesting musical discoveries such as 'Faded Love' by Leony (below):



There have been a few German language songs I never caught the names of. Also of interest was the music of Zoe Wees, a black German youth whose raw, piercing voice is unique and memorable. Then there's entirely instrumental pieces like this:



RTL is the more energetic of the two, with deep pop roots. MDR Jump is more likely to feature songs from the past. RTL seems to have more women presenters, and MDR Jump is more likely to play Imagine Dragons. Indeed, the latest US, Canadian and British hits often find their way into the playlist. Germany seems to love Ed Sheeran and The Weeknd. (What do I think of them? I find Sheeran objectifies his love interests, which makes his catchy tunes annoying. As for The Weeknd, misogyny was never more mellifluous. I spent many months hate-listening to 'Save Your Tears' and 'Blinding Lights', wishing that the fabulous instrumental stylings were propping up a feminist act. Finally I realised that my only choice was to accept the shittiness of the situation. 

But enough about artists I don't like.) What I love about RTL in particular is that the music has progressive credentials. Some of those hip kids in the Berlin party scene are going to be dancing to these tunes, or at least, letting them perk up their day. This makes me feel like I can relax.  

Have I picked up any German? Sadly, no - though I've recognised ads for KaDeWe, Berlin's only shopping mall, and pick up the odd word like 'lecker' (delicious). It doesn't matter - music is the universal language. 



No comments:

Post a Comment