Sunday 23 August 2020

Rekindling appreciation

For a long time, Haruki Murakami books were my main in-depth connection to Japan. I had started to feel that my feminism was pushing me away from this country. But recently I feel hopeful again that I can find inspiration within its borders. I started reading women authors - most notably Sayaka Murata - and started watching NHK World. It's comforting to recognise aspects of the culture whose language I studied for four years, particularly as the soothing tones of the syllables float into my ears. 

Now is a time for rediscovery. Making peace with the past. Finding the inner glow that has stayed with me through my various incarnations. Having a sturdy sense of reality - or letting nebulously connected fragments of reality dance around, seeking new relationships to each other. 

Now is a time to be alone. Companionably, I share a living room with my parents for a part of the day. When they clear out, I touch base with my feelings and find a strategy that will keep me happily engaged in the late hours. Sometimes I chat with friends online. Sometimes I enjoy being alone. Because we always return to the alone state - it is a constant. 

... Observe the dance of particles that is the body, whether in stillness or movement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment