Sunday 1 November 2020

Pressure from close ones / New Zealand on the radar

You know how sometimes you just want to relax and not have to defend yourself to anybody?

Today my mum started with a theme she has started in the last two years (ever since I voiced my intention to remain childfree), which is that I will miss out on the "joys" of the standard route in life - that is, settling down with a man and having children. 

It just goes to show how out of touch my mum is. I've been pursuing a strategy of nonconformity wherever possible since my teenage years. It makes me happy to pursue relationships with women or non-binary people, and retain my childfree lifestyle. I may be friends with a few select heterosexual men, but the idea of being in any "standard" hetero arrangement is a non-starter. 

*

Early 2019 saw me spend a couple of nights in Wellington, where I was trying to investigate New Zealand's suitability for long-term dwelling. 

Given that I'm obsessed with the Nordics, you'd think it'd be a no-brainer: learn Swedish properly and move to Sverige or Suomi. 

But after years of learning Spanish on and off, I have language learning fatigue. That, and the likelihood of guaranteed Seasonal Affective Disorder 4-5 months every year has me rethinking that strategy. 

New Zealand, meanwhile, proved its remoteness and good governance in their Covid eradications. They say that future novel pandemics are very likely, meaning that NZ will be an even better place to be in the future. And the legal pathway to Kiwi citizenship is uncomplicated for Aussies. 

I've also noted that NZ has scored higher on the Global Gender Gap Index than Australia for years. I noticed a readiness to take women more seriously while I was there. 

So I have Dunedin within my sights... eventually. Unless something unexpected happens to make me re-evaluate. Which, well, anything can happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment