Sunday 21 February 2021

The Conundrum

 'It's been a while since I watched CNN,' I thought to myself. Tuning into a live speech of Biden, the following thought process commenced: "This is mostly a throwback to Obama times... except that we're stuck with an old, white, heterosexual man... I bet GLBTIs will have their own section in the White House website soon... but Biden has been accused of rape... oh good, more aggressive on China... wait, am I endorsing American foreign policy aggression?"

Fast forward to an hour ago, I was ready to make a statement on facebook about withdrawing from political activism. I even proposed everyone join me in celebrating calm, promoting peace, and imbibing tranquility. But while I'm ready for a more harmonious headspace, it's hard to tell the people you know, the majority of whom you befriended explicitly for their politics, that you are no longer in the mood. 

But I have to be honest: I want to be more like Zadie Smith, breathing in beauty whenever possible, not entering yet another toxic online discussion. My conflict avoidant ways are having a comeback. But more than that, I've been through more than my fair share of hardship in this life, and, having reaching a semi-stable environment, I just want to let down my guard, relax, and connect over art and stuff. 

So sue me. *sticks out tongue*

No comments:

Post a Comment