Sunday 18 August 2024

Back to the Sparks

This year I rediscovered the joy of familiar places which had become disappointing, or threatened to become so, in my mind. 

1. The Netherlands

Having spent all of three days in the place, most of them rushing through Amsterdam, I had left with the impression that the locals were unfriendly and the architecture wasn’t my cup of tea, but upon my return to Maastricht I was given some warm words of advice for tackling the photo museum by its receptionist, as well as given tips for how to hear that night’s André Rieu concert if I didn’t plan to buy an official ticket. The low-rise architecture of this southernmost city was calming, and could even be charming. 

Our taxi driver offered that Rieu was a likeable individual, having stayed unpretentious and maintaining close ties to the community. Indeed, at the concert the orchestrator exalted his hometown, and visibly relished bringing all sorts of international talent for the audience to enjoy. 

And then there was the phenomenon of lower gender inequality than I’m used to.

We spent less than 24 hours in Maastricht, but it was enough to open up an appetite for deeper exploration in the Netherlands. I now want to visit The Hague, Utrecht and maybe Giethoorn. 

2. Portugal

With locals so receptive to travellers, I felt mostly at home. A comforting warmth nestled in my chest, and I didn’t want to leave.

I’m interested in visiting Madeira, Sintra and maybe the Algarve. I would also be happy to return to Coimbra, which I fell in love with. In this small but scenic city, a stranger noticed my mum and I on the bus, and upon disembarking at the same stop as us they helpfully suggested we buy a bus card valid for multiple rides. Instructing us on where to buy the pass and how to use it, I was aglow - it didn’t make financial sense for us to get this deal, but I was grateful for the warmheartedness of the local.

[More soon…]


No comments:

Post a Comment