Sunday 2 January 2011

Finding Myself in Bangkok

So here I am again, in the land of a thousand candy-coloured cabs, where the megamall lives in its natural habitat, cuddled by massive roads and dirt-streaked elevated walkways where children wilt loudly on the steps, hoping you will be charitable. I'm minutes away from MBK, Siam Paragon and a few other shopping complexes, which will ensure that I am never short on fine food or Hollywood blockbusters. In fact, I hear The Tourist is out now...

Seeing as I'm in the land of consumer paradise, I might as well get my hair dyed, my teeth whitened and buy new shoes (or thongs, as the case may be). And if I'm too lazy to do any of those things, well, so be it.

One of my friends gave me a virtual kiss on the lips on New Year's Eve, which I celebrated at the Chiang Mai airport. The rest of the day was spent feeling exhausted, and I thought I saw an old friend in MBK (but I was probably wrong). I'm still actually quite exhausted. I would like to say that my last post of poetry could have been a lot better, so when I have time I'll work on it.

I was creating a list of all the countries I either hope to visit this year, or would really like to visit even though it's unlikely:

Iceland,
Taiwan,
Argentina,
Mexico,
Canada,
Belgium,
Norway,
Portugal,
Spain,
Sweden,
Denmark,
Scotland,
Ireland,
New Zealand,
Japan.

Ironically, I have visited one of the cities Lonely Planet recommended for 2011 already - I spent my first few hours of the year in Chiang Mai.

Lots of love to you this decade,
Epiphanie

No comments:

Post a Comment